The goal of this program is to provide guidance and support services to minimize the risks associated with the use of hazardous chemicals in research, teaching and clinical laboratories, and laboratory support facilities. The program also helps the laboratory community ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations addressing chemical use in these areas.
The on-line Chemical Hygiene Program (CHP) is a written plan ensuring the safe use and management of chemicals by employees in laboratories at Temple University (TU). It describes policies, procedures, and control measures that must be understood and observed by all laboratory personnel. This program meets Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements for a Chemical Hygiene Plan as specified in 29 CFR 1910.1450 (Lab Standard).
While this program primarily addresses chemical hazards, other materials, and processes such as biological, occupational, and radiological hazards, are referred to and must be controlled according to specific standards outlined in their respective sections.
Biological Safety, Laser Safety, Occupational Safety, and Radiation Safety
Laboratory personnel must always have access to this program and other applicable health and safety documents.
Have a Chemical Safety Question? Call us at (215) 707-2520 (2-2520) or use the EHRS Contact Form
EXPOSURES, ACCIDENTS & EMERGENCIES
Laboratory Chemical Safety Audits
SAFETY DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS
CONTROLLING LABORATORY CHEMICAL HAZARDS
Standard Operating Procedures
- CHE019.01-SOP-General Laboratory Safety Practices
- CHE020.01-SOP-Proper Labeling, Storage & Management of Chemicals in Labs
- CHE021.01-SOP-Laboratory Requirements for PPE for Chemical Hazards
- CHE022.01-SOP-Laboratory Requirements for Chemical SOP(s)
- CHE023.01-SOP-Developing a Chemical SOP in Laboratories
- CHE024.01-SOP-Determining if a Chemical is a Particularly Hazardous Substance (PHS) or a “High-Risk” Chemical
- CHE025.01-SOP-Proper and Safe Use of Chemical Fume Hoods
- CHE026.01-SOP-Procurement & Use of Tax-Free Alcohol for Research
- CHE027.02-SOP-Chemical Transportation
Chemical Hazard Guidelines & Chemical-Specific Procedures Library
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
TRAINING & CHEMCIAL HAZARD INFORMATION
EXPOSURES, ACCIDENTS & EMERGENCIES
LABORATORY SAFETY EQUIPMENT
LABORATORY CHEMICAL WASTE MANAGEMENT
Chemical Inventory (ChemInventory)
All locations that store hazardous chemicals at Temple University and Temple University Health System are required to maintain a chemical inventory in Temple's online inventory database.
- Log into ChemInventory (EHRS approved access required)
Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
Safety Data Sheets (SDS) describe the physical and health hazards of chemicals or chemical-containing products and can be accessed in CEMS.
- Search for Safety Data Sheets (SDS) (Temple University or Health System authentication required)
EHRS Publications Related to Chemical Safety
EHRS has a wide variety of programs and publications (fact sheets, forms, guides, manuals, etc.) available to assist you in working safely with chemicals in your work environment.
Compliance Regulations, Standards & Guidelines
A listing of key applicable regulations, standards, and external guidelines available for review by the University community.
EHRS offers a wide variety of training courses to increase your knowledge, improve your ability to recognize and mitigate risk, and help maintain a safe work environment.