Before visitors work in the laboratory and complete safety training, he/she must receive approval from Risk Management. Please note: Visiting Research Scholars, Postdoctoral Fellow, and J1 Student Interns, who complete documentation with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, do not need approval from Risk Management. However, they will need to attend the appropriate safety training at Temple University (see below).
Here are the steps Visitors and Principal Investigators must follow for approval:
- Visitors must complete the Acknowledgement of Confidential Information form, which be found in the Forms section under Staff Tools in TUPortal. This form and their CV/resume must be given to the Principal Investigator of the laboratory.
- Principal Investigator must send the following to Liz Riepnieks:
- The completed Acknowledgement of Confidential Information form;
- Visitor's CV/resume; and,
- A brief description to identify the type of work the visitor will do in the lab.
Please note: The Principal Investigator must also submit a formal request through The Office of Identity and Access Management to allow any person on campus to visit Temple University. This Office has an application on TUPortal called "Guest Access Request System" where the formal request can be submitted. Please see the Temple University Laboratories - Visitors and Volunteers Policy and Process document for information on additional standards and procedures.
Once approval is given by Risk Management, the Visitor must complete safety training. Since government regulations vary from state to state, every institution has their own policies and procedures to comply with federal, state, and local regulations. At Temple University, all visitors short or long-term, are required to complete, at a minimum, the Initial Safety Training for Researchers through Environmental Health and Radiation Safety (EHRS). For a list of other trainings that visitor may need to attend in person or take online (which are based on the specific hazard(s) in the area), please review our training matrix.