Laboratories within Temple University must be left in a suitable state for new occupants and/or renovation activities. All hazardous materials and waste (biological, chemical, radioactive) must be properly relocated and/or disposed prior to vacating a lab space. Work areas, storage areas, shared areas, and equipment used for hazardous materials including work benches, sinks, chemical fume hoods, cabinets, microwaves and other must be cleaned and fully decontaminated.
Laboratory spaces cannot be re-occupied, nor renovation space(s) work started, until the space(s) has been inspected and cleared by EHRS.
Action Items for All Labs
If you are a vacating a lab space:
- Complete the Laboratory Vacancy or Relocation Notification Form (asap-recommended at least 90 days in advance of departure)
Once EHRS is notified, EHRS (designated team member) will schedule a meeting and site walk with you to discuss applicable requirements and assist you in the decommissioning process.
- Review the EHRS Laboratory Vacancy or Relocation Guide.
- Complete and submit (email@example.com) a Laboratory Clearance Form (when all hazardous material have been removed and all surfaces have be properly cleaned/decontaminated).
The EHRS designated team member will arrange for a final walkthrough and inspection once the Certificate of Laboratory Vacancy form has been received.
Laboratories equipment used with hazardous materials (biological, chemical, radioactive) must be adequately cleaned and decontaminated before it can be discarded, moved, repaired, or recycled.
Action Items for all Labs
- Clean and decontaminate equipment with an appropriate disinfectants and/or detergent. Contact EHRS for technical assistance at 215-707-2520.
- Complete and submit (firstname.lastname@example.org) an Equipment Clearance Form (one per item).
Once the form is received, EHRS will schedule a time to visit the lab and verify that the equipment has been properly cleaned and/or decontaminated. A copy of the completed and signed from must be posted on the piece of equipment.